Organic Single Estate Superior Sencha
First Harvest Classic Japanese Tea
Loose Leaf : 100g / 3.5oz = 25 - 30 servings ($1.10 - $1.35 per serving)
2-4 day delivery to USA & Canada
Free global shipping on orders $50+ USD
- The quintessence of Japanese green tea sourced exclusively from the highly coveted first spring harvest.
- A youthful and refreshing taste with a hint of freshly cut grass.
- Asamushi style (light steamed) : Perfectly balanced, it can be steeped and enjoyed in a multitude of ways to extract or accentuate specific flavours.
- Organically grown in Shizuoka with passion and love by the Shigeta family for 15 generations.
- Our favourite companion to get inspired and creative. The balance of caffeine and theanine keeps you relaxed while staying focused.
- Rich in antioxidants.
- Very limited single estate production : each box is hand packed and individually signed by the tea producer.
- Sustainable packaging : 100% plastic-free and fully compostable.
Earthy. Versatile. Trailblazer.
Sencha leaves are the most traditional type of green tea. They are pure, green leaves that have been steamed to bring out their natural, earthy flavour. Plucked from the first harvest of the year, this premiere batch represents birth, freshness, and the excitement of the first bloom in spring.
The Evergreen is made in the Asamushi style of Sencha. The rarest and most traditional of all the Sencha styles, the leaves are short-steamed and left whole. It is commonly known for having a light and fresh taste. While most enjoyed by those with a delicate palette, it can actually be steeped multiple times in a variety of ways to provide a versatility in flavour.
This tea is the perfect way to start your day or have a midday soul-reinvigoration (which we all need from time to time). The activated theanine in the leaves trigger alpha waves in your brain, helping produce an inspired concentration. Many creatives enjoy drinking green tea while working, as it incites a calm focus within.
No matter when you enjoy a cup, or who with, we suggest taking a pause, and enjoying some fresh air with it. It might open up your senses and push your mind to new boundaries.
Personally, it is our favorite batch when we want to get together with our friends and exchange new ideas. We like it best for a little caffeine kick, some mental clarity, and a whole lot of bonding.
Grown in: Shizuoka, Japan
Produced by: Shigeta Family
Tea cultivar : Yabukita
Type: Single Estate
Processing Method: Steamed (Japanese style)
Steamed process type and time: Asamushi - Light steamed for 21sec
Light and fresh, it offers a classic green tea taste with a gentle smell of freshly cut grass. They are pure, green leaves that have been steamed to bring out their natural, earthy flavour.
Organically Grown (JAS organic certification): Pesticide, chemical fertiliser, additive and preservative free.
About organic certification : the raw tea (aracha) produced by the Shigeta family is JAS organic certified. However, as many farmers in Japan, they do not refine the tea themselves (process of removing dust, excessive stems and further reducing moisture). Even though, this doesn't change in any way the organic nature of the final material, the fact that the facility is not certified refrains the final product to be approved organic. The cost of purchasing their own equipment is out of reach, but we are exploring solutions to give this incredible tea the certification it deserves.
- Full of theanine, an amino acid that induces relaxation and lowers anxiety.
- Lower in caffeine than coffee and black tea : Sencha is about 1/3rd of caffeine compared to coffee and slightly less than black tea.
- Rich in antioxidants, which help protect you from molecules called free radicals, which are compounds that can damage cells and cause chronic disease.
- Helps reduce inflammation, boosts your immune system, and lowers cholesterol.
While offering a prefect protection to the tea leaves, our packaging is :
- 100% compostable (Box and Pouch)
- 100% plastic free
- Made with recycled and plant based marterial only
- Printed with soy and vegetal ink
Discover all our steeping guides here.
But don't forget, your own perfect steeping way is yours to discover.
With love from the Shigeta family.
A true passion for making the most delicious tea is what has been driving 15 generations of the Shigeta family. Seiji (14th generation) and his son Takuya (15th generation) are carrying on this incredible family legacy.
In the 1970's Seiji shifted back to organic farming – the amount of work this entails is tremendous. Instead of spreading pesticide and synthetic fertilizer like most farmers, Seiji and Takuya walk every row of their vast tea garden on a daily basis handpicking any potential harmful insect or herbs from the tea trees. The garden lives in perfect harmony with the surrounding fauna and flora. Their commitment has been rewarded by the JAS (Japan Agriculture Society) organic certification (officially recognised as equivalent to the USDA organic certification).
Every time we make the trip to visit them, we are treated like family. They cook the most delicious food, including incredible housemade Soba, and all gather to enjoy it with us. They are a family that treats others with so much love and heart, and their kindness shines through in their tea.
Our TeasView all
03The Wild OneExtremely Rare Organic Wild Grown YamachaTraditionally Roasted Japanese Green Tea(3)